Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog Post 3

Michael Wesh: A Vision of Students Today. I so believe this video has been my exact college experience. I think there is nor enough time in the day to do all the things I need to do. Or is it that I did not use my time wisely?? I think that this video definitely was interesting to see. Being in a regular classroom sitting in desk and listening to a teacher lecture is very boring and not does not help everyone learn.
I, myself like most people learn by doing. I think that now that I am older and working on a second degree I am much more serious about school than I was before. So I can say that my class room experiences now differ a little bit form the video. However, I would add to the video that some professors are hard to reach and may not as people friendly as you would like them to. Which intimidates you as a student and enables you to learn, therefore causing another problem to the education system.

"It's not about the technology" I really enjoyed reading this article. I thought it was right on point with teaching in today's society. I think that the for principles Ms. Hines touched on was right on target. I do believe that as teachers we must always learn. We must be able to provide the student with the most accurate information. Of course we as teachers will not know everything, however, the little statement" No I do not know the answer to that. Lets find out." Encourages us as teachers to always be willing to learn. I think the most important information in this article in that teaching and learning are not the same thing. Once we as teachers realize every student learns differently then we are on to a great start as becoming successful teachers.

Furthermore, I think it is a no brainier that anything is useless without a good teacher. Information is always available but without a good comprehension or someone to explain it to you to understand the information it is useless. My favorite principle in the article is the last one. Be 21st teachers without technology. I think by achieving this it will be inevitable to not produce smarter and more well rounded students and teachers. And with this technology will only enhance the student and not become the student.

Karl Fisch: Is it okay to be a technologically illiterate teacher? I thought that this was a very interesting read. It started off a little bit confusing and straight forward. However, I enjoyed the honesty. When I was a high student I do believe that technology was not encouraged in schools the way they should have been. After receiving my first degree I believe that it is still not encouraged in Universities as it should be. Now working on my second degree and with this degree being in education I do see a change. However, this change needs to me made in all degree sought programs not just education.

The students that we are producing today will no more smarter than I was when I was in high school almost 10 years ago. Learning to accept than technology is a part of society needs to start soon or else the students of today will not be able to handle the demands of the jobs of tomorrow. So when I ask myself, "Is it okay for a teacher to be technologically illiterate? The answer is and will always be NO! In order to build a better society we have to start in our education system. We can not allow teachers to not use tools that are apart of society, it is only harming the student and setting them up for failure. We as teachers must ALWAYS be LEARNERS. It is not acceptable for us to settle.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count. Wow this is very crazy. Its changing at an outstanding rate. I'm shocked by this information.  Does this means students are using these various social sites in classrooms, driving, during conversations, at dinner, etc?? And the answer to that question is yes. Technology is changing drastically and for my career it can mean so much. Change is inevitable, therefore I must always be willing to learn and stay technologically literate.

2 comments:

  1. "Which intimidates you as a student and enables you to learn, ..." I think you meant makes it more difficult to learn.

    "I think it is a no brainier that anything is useless without a good teacher.i"
    Did you mean everything instead of anything? Can a student be his or her good teacher?

    " It started off a little bit confusing and straight forward." Both confusing and straightforward? At the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi samera! Do you reember me? It looks like you are really getting the hang of this. GREAT JOB! I was reading your post, and I saw that yo are working on your second degree. THAT'S GOOD!

    "Being in a regular classroom sitting in desk and listening to a teacher lecture is very boring and not does not help everyone learn."

    Yes it is very boring, especially when you are a visual and hands-on learner. That's on thing that I do like about EDM310, we can work at our own pace and it's makes us stay active in our learning.

    Keep up the god job!

    ReplyDelete