Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student- I found this video to be very interesting.  This video accurately describes how our class, EDM 310, is designed.  We are the networked student, but we have been set up with all of the resources and materials to learn.  The networked student needs a teacher, because the teacher serves several roles, as the video outlines, that help make the entire experience a success.  Without Dr. Strange's organization of the class materials, we would not be learning a multitude of information this semester. 
I feel that by the end of this semester, I will be prepared to be the teacher of the networked student.  My students are only going to be limited to the experiences that I require and expose them to, but the possibilities of their educational practices are limitless.  There is not one thing that I have learned this semester that could not be appropriately incorporated into any classroom.  The most rewarding part of being a networked student is the ability to learn from your peers and classmates.  This is a learning style that needs to be incorporated into all classes.
Being a networked student's teacher means being prepared, organized, and efficient.  Dr. Strange has adequately exemplified  all of these behaviors which makes our class and learning experience a success.  The networked student can appreciate this teaching style because he or she is responsible for the level of personal success received in this type of classroom.  This type of classroom setting also makes it easy to recognize and assess the progress being made by each student. 

SN:Although the material presented in the video was very interesting and useful, I did not like the way the information was presented.  The little pieces of paper were irritating. 

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment- I loved this PLE video!  This is so awesome and amazing.   I wish that I had a class like this in middle school to learn about science.  I wish that science classes in public schools today were set up this way.  Teaching students how to use the Internet and social networking to expand their knowledge and learning is so important.  It teaches them positive ways to use the Internet at school and at home, which promotes them to become life-long learners.

SmartBoard Critiques- After reading a few of the blogs that I found on  http://www.teacherslovesmartboards.com/, I am not sure how Staton and Ferriter could use the words 'hate' and 'dumb' when speaking about SmartBoards.  The teachers on this page really, REALLY love the SmartBoards.  I feel that Staton and Ferriter need more training on the many possibilities that their board has to offer.  Ferriter has given his board away to someone, so maybe this would not be beneficial for him.  The website linked above is a network for teachers to share assignments and interactive lesson plans that teachers and classes have designed and developed.  It is an interesting way to incorporate the SmartBoard into the classroom and get kids excited about using it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Samera,
    My name is John Russell Smith and I feel the same way about the way public schools are set up. I wish we had social networking and the internet the way that they do because I believe this would have helped me out in the long run. It really does help with their future learning skills since everything is going to a computer based program. I also choose the website “Teacherslovesmartboards”. This website showed how much that the teachers really loved Smartboards. It really was a good site to persuade you that smartboards were really helpful if you have never used it. Thank you for posting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samera,

    Excellent post! I'm glad you're seeing past when many just consider to be "busy work" and seeing EDM310 for it's true purpose - to open your eyes to a new type of learning that you'll hopefully carry into your future classroom!

    Keep up the good work!

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete