Monday, February 14, 2011

Blog Post 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? When I first read this post I laughed. I thought he was crazy and over reacting, until I realized the sarcasm. I think that it was a warning to parents and teachers to not let their children fall behind. Without technology the children will become illiterate. Even though technology is important it was a warning that pen and paper (the fundamentals of grammar) is important. As a future teacher it is important to learn how to not rely on technology or pen and paper but to integrates the two together. Dr. McLeod is the co founder of the Did you know videos. Dr. McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Administration at Iowa State University.

The iSchool Innovation. I was very impressed. I thought this was an awesome idea. Since the iPhone is used for everything else, why not make it school appropriate. I really thought that formulae was very interesting in the way that it works. The ischool includes features such as emailing, wikis, electronic libraries and much more.  The ischool enables every student to have an effective way of communication with teachers and students.  However, since schools are broke and laying off teachers and classrooms are being over populated how would each student be able to afford the iphone? for the ischool? The big issue with the school system these days is the money. The financial system would hinder this amazing idea from happening, but if the funds were all there it would a wonder upgrade for learning for the students.

The Lost Generation. The video was great. I was speechless after the first minute or two after watching it. When watching the video I was thinking "oh my goodness, what a heartless person" but as the words she was saying started to reverse with the video I began to get chills. It was very eye opening. It reminded me that the state that we are in as society. We must stay committed to our true values and morals and be an individual not what someone else wants us to be.

Eric Whitakers Virtual Choir. I thought that this video was simply amazing. As I write this post I am listening to this video again. I am still in shock that this video was composed through the internet. I think that technology has come a long way. This choir has 185 and people from all over the world that have never met each other physically but because of the internet they were able to form this choir. I am happy to be in apart of a generation that has these types of technological advances. So may people have so many negative things to say about the internet. This video is a very positive advancement. Objects can only be used in the way the person uses them. I think this goes for technology as well. if you use it for negative use than you get negative results. The internet is more helpful in ways people will never know, until they try.

Teaching in the 21st Century. I think the information in this video is very very very..did I say very?? TRUE!! As future teachers we must start to think of better ways to relay the information. We are not the primary source anymore. In addition, I think that only a handful of us had great teachers that not only taught us the content and facts but the skills to apply that information in everyday life.

As i entered elementary school I believed my teacher knew it all. They were my primary source of information. As I entered middle school I began to see that my teacher did not know it all, as I began to start doing research projects. As I went through high school and prepared for college, I realized that not only did my teacher convey the factual information and content to me they taught me skills of  how to. How to find the information I need and more, how to apply the information I learned to a particular situation, and how to inform others because now with so much technology and easily accessible information teachers are not the primary source. So to me to teach means that a student learned how to  do something and apply it.

2 comments:

  1. Samera,

    I agree that it is important to integrate both traditional and new ways together. We cannot completely reject tradition because this is what our education is built on, but as educators, we must accept change and be willing to use the new tools and resources available.

    I also think the iSchool initiative is a great idea, and I love that it is based on the use of technology. You raise an important issue with this system, and that is the fact that many schools do not have the funding. This could create a lot of issues, and we will continue to face this dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Samera! I thought the same thing about Dr. McLeod until the sarcasm hit me as well (lol) so we have that in common! But I'm on the exact same page as you about the pen and paper! I fully accept the growth and benefits of the 20th century learning technology but at the same time it's sad to think of what students might miss out on actually writing with their own muscles, pencil and paper whatever it is. Some people use writing (actual writing) as a release of stress and a way to escape the world. I'm all for the combination of what I call the triple threat of education (technology, pen and paper :)
    As you can see I'm skipping everyother one because I tend to talk way too much! But I got chills also while reading the lost generation. Individuality is key!
    With the teaching in 21st century it is true how you mentioned we must start to come up with more of a variety of ways to teach information. I first learned that in my math for elementary school teachers class because we were doing "elementary math" but it was crazy hard because our teacher was showing us ways to teach the info if the original or typical ways don't gel well in our kids minds. We must find as many ways as possible to relay the information! Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete